Tuesday, August 29, 2006

City of Murals

As you drive through town, especially from the north, one thing you will notice is the rather large number of buildings that have murals painted on their sides. This could explain why Delta is known as the “City of Murals”! Now at first, the cynic in me figured that a very savvy traveling mural salesman must have come through town a number of years back causing mural envy amongst the businesses unlucky enough to have exposed sides, but after talking to a few of the local folk, that is not the story at all. All the murals seem to have been done by local artists, and near as I can tell, most of them still live here. The murals appear to have been done between 1987 and 1992, but none that I have talked to know how this got started. If you know, please add a comment! These murals are all in good shape, which got me thinking. With one exception, none of the murals face south, and I suspect I know why. The sun here at 4500 feet is very intense, and has a habit of burning off paints and sealers, especially on southern exposures. Am I on the right track Connie, Dennis, Emanuel, or W.R.? In any case, you have not seen the last of the murals…..

3 comments:

Denton said...

Welcome to the daily photo family and greetings from Greenville South Carolina. I look forward to your photos.

Anonymous said...

Cool mural , very red, just like the outback in Australia. Thanks and welcome!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful mural.....so good in fact that one wonders why the artist was painting on the side of a building. The ones I've seen on walls have typically been done by "local/community artists" or kindergarten classes....