Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Today is the first time where I am not able to call or visit and wish my Mom a happy Mother’s day, but I know she still hears me. We lost her to breast cancer last October, and she was a fighter to the end. I believe that this is the last picture ever taken of my Mom, and it was taken by an exceptionally close friend who took a week of vacation to fly out and help us with care giving. Mom did not like to have her picture taken, but somehow I think she knew this would be the last one, and when Matt pointed the camera, she rose to the occasion, giving us one last glimpse of who she really was, a woman with dignity. The cancer may have taken over her body, but not her spirit. The following morning she left us, and I look forward to the day I can again give her big hug, and wish her a Happy Mother’s Day, in person.

I miss you Mom.

10 comments:

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

Thank you to share your thought about your mother with us. Very touching.

Anonymous said...

Yours is a very touching post today. Taking photos at the end of life is a challenge. Matt and your mother did a good job of showing how grand of a woman she was.

Lavenderlady said...

Of course you miss her. The bond you had is apparent. What a nice tribute.

Anonymous said...

What Bill will not tell you (and someone really should) is about what HIS sacrifice was during this time. On almost a moments notice, He and his wife packed up the 6 kids, the animals, and anything they could get in their motorhome.

They left their home, their friends, and everything they knew in Virginia to assist my Dad in the care of our Mom.

That sacrifice should not go unspoken, and will never be forgotten.

Dan (Brother Of Bill)

Anonymous said...

my thought exactly as Denton on taking photos under the circumstances, she's a champ!

Of course she'll be in your heart forever :)

Anonymous said...

I share your sentiments. My wife has had breast cancer twice and just finished her radiation treatments. It is a disease that has no friends. I like your photograph of your mother. It is excellent and your narrative was very good.

I hope you can visit my blog some day and maybe see the magazine cover idea I came up with for her on this Mother's Day.

photowannabe said...

this photo is truely one of dignity and the love of family. Bill, you gave your Mom the best Mothers Day gift, yourself.
This touched me deeply.

inspired said...

the beautiful face of love and dignity such a virtue can't be hid for it lives within the heart!!

lv2scpbk said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom.

Kate said...

I'm glad that I stopped even if it's a day late. Your tribute to your mother is heartfelt and a mixture of sadness and courage. You are blessed with good memories which I hope will continue to sustain you. Thanks for your story!!