Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vision Fulfilled


In January of 2005 (Over a year before I moved to Delta), I registered a URL for a vision I had had for years to help out Boy Scouts in the area of selecting and packing the right equipment for their various activities. I had been a Scoutmaster, and spent a good deal of time helping parents and coaching scouts in this area, and that is where I saw the issue.

On August 28, 2006, I posted a shot taken from one of my favorite places to backpack. I did not know it at the time, but it was to become a main element in the vision I had for the Scouts.

Last August, my brother Dan and I started work on the site, and we made quick progress. We pulled in Dick, another scouting friend in Virginia to help us with art work. Earlier this month, we had the idea to draw the banner for the site as opposed to having a photograph, and I immediately recalled the shot you see above. I sent it off to Dick, and he quickly took on the challenge of making a drawing of the photograph to match the other drawings he had been doing for the site. His take on the picture is shown above as well.

Well today all of that has come together, and we published www.ScoutLists.com

We have a large list of enhancements already planned, but with version 1.0, you are able to select an activity, a climate, and a season, and get a packing list that is tailored to that combination. I would be interested in your thoughts on the site, would appreciate you forwarding it to any Boy Scouts you might know, and if you want to link to that site that would be great, as we are working on our Google rankings now.

It has been a fun project, and there is more to come, fit in of course between my picture taking time for DDP :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your vision.

Kerri Farley said...

What an Absolutely FANTASTIC idea!! I just looked at the site!
Good Luck!!

photowannabe said...

Without a vision the people perish...Congratulations on your adventure and venture. its great. I'm on my way to the site now.

Anonymous said...

congratulations this is awesome--its so nice to see work like this happen